Installing Carpet Underfloor Heating
A quick guide to installing underfloor heating.
Before you carry out the installation of your new under floor heating system it is vital that you prepare the area first.
- Remove old flooring and / or prepare surface of existing floor to accept the installation.
- Where possible ensure the floor is completely flat, if required use latex level compound to take out any uneven areas.
- Clear the floor of any debris and make sure the surface is clean and dust free.
Installation method for Carpet Underfloor heating
A traditional installation of carpet requires gripper rods to be installed around the perimeter of the room and the carpet stretched and held in place by the carpet gripper rods.
When installing the carpet underfloor heating system an insulation must be used to ensure the heat is transferred upwards into the room. This in turn will increase the height of the carpet installation by 6mm. It is therefore important that the gripper rods are raised by 6mm to ensure the carpet can be stretched and secured effectively.
You can use what is called a “Blind Gripper” / “Neat Edge Gripper” for this, the Blind Gripper Rod has no upward facing pins which will raise the height sufficiently to then attach the pinned gripper rod in top.
You can buy 6mm wood beading which can be bonded to the floor and probably available for any DIY store.
- Once your gripper rods are in place roll out the Therm-All insulation to cover the whole floor area inside the grippers. You can stick the edges of the insulation to the floor using double sided tape or carpet spray glue.
- Lay out the heating mats to the plan provided by staff or to your desired layout.
- Before sticking under floor heating mats down check the resistance using a multi-meter
- Document the Mat serial number / size / position and resistance on installation chart provided.
- Stick the heating mats to the insulation using high adhesive tape provided.
- Guide the cold leads (lives and neutrals) to a junction box.
- Lay the thermostatic floor probe (provided with the thermostat) in between 2 ribbons central to the floor (Approx 20mm from ribbon element).
- Ensure the mats and wires are as flat as possible.
- Lay out the low tog carpet underlay over the heating elements, be careful not to damage the mats when cutting the underlay to size.
- An electrician must make all electrical connections and carry out another resistance check at this point.
- Lay the low tog carpet as normal taking care to ensure the teeth of the carpet stretch is set at the correct depth.
- Your underfloor Heating is now ready to be used, simply switch on and enjoy.